Men for Ministry Interview Series: Dr. Gareth Crossley

Could you please tell us a little about your own family background?
I was born in Morley, Yorkshire. My father was a train driver; my mother a tailoress. Neither were, or are yet, believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. Leaving school at fifteen with one 'O' level, I served a five year apprenticeship in mechanical engineering.

When and how did you come to faith in Christ?
At seventeen I began attending a Methodist Church to befriend a young lady in the choir. At nineteen I questioned a number of people in the Methodist Church seeking to understand the true meaning of Christianity. Though lacking answers I was asked to speak at a midweek meeting and preached my first sermon before I was converted! After nine or ten months searching and enquiry I was pointed in the right direction and gave my life to the Lord.

When did you feel called to full-time service?
At twenty I began training as a local preacher with the Methodist Church. Because of the difficulties I had experienced in discovering the truth about the Lord Jesus, I offered my life to God in order to help others to find him. There was no distinct 'call' as others express it just a willingness to give my life in ministry if that was the Lord's will. On the completion of my five year apprenticeship, I took a twelve month appointment as a lay pastor in the Yorkshire Dales. This was subject to my application for the Methodist Ministry. Having failed all three written examinations for entry it was a surprise to be accepted for the ministry. It seemed evident to me that the Lord had opened the door and I willingly accepted this as his 'call.'

What quick advice would you give to those just beginning to preach in their local church?
Preach Christ, keep to the major doctrines of the faith, love the people: prepare and preach for their benefit not for your own interest, look at the people, keep it simple, keep it short.

Have you any tips on how a person could be helped to evaluate their own preaching?
Self-evaluation is extremely difficult. Find an experienced preacher whom you respect for his gifts, skills and wisdom and ask him to tell you honestly after every sermon.

What reading materials would you personally recommend to those involved in ministry?
The Welwyn Series of commentaries published by Evangelical Press is a useful foundation. Spurgeon's "Commenting on Commentaries" is very helpful for evaluating good books of past generations (many are reprinted by Banner of Truth and other publishers). The book-room at Metropolitan Tabernacle is also a good source since they are careful to sell only sound literature. Ask ministers to recommend commentaries and borrow them before buying them.

No comments: